SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE

SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE
you are hereby called to serve in the Arkansas, Little Rock Mission ❤️ August 2016 - February 2018 ❤️

Monday, October 24, 2016

The One and Only Paragould


This past week was equally as "all over the place" as the last. More
of our sweet Marshallese friends have moved. One of our investigators
tried to bible bash us. Many of the people we teach are dealing with
trials and illness that we have no control over which has lead me to
evaluate my testimony and conversation. 

Am I 100% confident that theatonement is real and can heal us? 
Can I look someone in the eyes who is tired of living and being in pain 
and tell them that Jesus Christ has felt it all? 
Do I believe that "the Lord (will) strengthen them that they (can) bear up their burdens 
with ease, and.. submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord"  (Mosiah24:15)?

I can say that I do truly believe in Jesus Christ and the power of His atonement. 
If I didn't, I don't think I would be here.

Being a missionary has opened my eyes in so many ways. After serving
the Lord full-time, even for the short amount of time that I have, I
never want to go back to a life of "when I feel like it" discipleship.
I'm learning that that's just not how it works. We have to ask
ourselves if we truly are converted. Has the gospel of Jesus Christ
"wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more
disposition to do evil, but to do good continually" (Mosiah 5:2)? Can
we say that we "love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all
thy soul, and with all thy mind" (Mathew 22:37)? In the talk by
Jeffrey R. Holland titled "The First Great Commandment", I like to say
that Elder Holland throws down. He recounts the story of Christ
visiting His disciples, who have returned to their former lives as
fishermen, after He is resurrected. Jesus asks Peter three times, "do
you love me?" to which Peter replies that he does. Elder Holland
describes in his own words Christ's response. "What I need, Peter, are
disciples-and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and
save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith.
I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our
Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do". Elder Holland goes on to
say, "We have a life of devoted discipleship to give in demonstrating
our love of the Lord. We can’t quit and we can’t go back. After an
encounter with the living Son of the living God, nothing is ever again
to be as it was before. The Crucifixion, Atonement, and Resurrection
of Jesus Christ mark the beginning of a Christian life, not the end of
it". I love that. We're either all in or we're not. Don't we owe it to
Jesus Christ to be all in? Our savior who has given everything, even
His own life, that we might live? 
As President Wakolo often quotes from the hymn 
How Firm a Foundation, "I'll never, no never, no never forsake."

The work is still sweet in Paragould and the blessings are
as plentiful as ever. We see miracles from the Lord's hand in our work
every day, every day, every day. The refiners fire is hot but, "there
is no growth in the comfort zone, and there is no comfort in the
growth zone".

Much love,
Sister Bailey Guthrie

913 S. 22nd St. #6

Paragould, AR 72450

1 comment:

  1. He never said it would be easy only that it would be worth it. You are an awesome missionary....please don't be discouraged.

    "Mom" Cook

    ReplyDelete