SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE

SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE
you are hereby called to serve in the Arkansas, Little Rock Mission ❤️ August 2016 - February 2018 ❤️

Monday, June 12, 2017

Now Go Get Your Feet Wet

It's funny to think of the difference between a southern hey y'all and
a western hey y'all. I hope when I say y'all you don't imagine me to
be Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash and not Joe Dirt.  Anyways, it's been a
great week. I say that every week, but it's true. I think the best
part of this week was the success we had in finding new people to
teach and getting them to show a sincere desire by coming to church.
The two people we found, Larry and Tim were both member referrals
(nudge nudge every member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints). We need y'all. We were able to have those members who gave us
the referral present for our lessons with with Larry and Tim. Both of
the lessons went great and Tim accepted the invitation to be baptized.
The sister that came with us to teach Larry bore testimony of her
experience coming to know that the Book of Mormon was true and the
spirit was so strong it was undeniable. So, Larry and Tim both ended
up coming to church along with another one of our investigators. We
actually weren't in Bartlett for church on Sunday because we had to
drive out to West Memphis to help out the sisters there, but we know
that our investigators were taken care of because the members in
Bartlett are outstanding. On Thursday morning I woke up with an ear
infection which was random because I thought only five year olds get
ear infections but apparently not. Also something random and funny
that happened this week, about a month ago I got stitches in my arm
and then got them removed (typical). Well, a few days later I could
feel something in my arm that I swore was a piece of plastic (not
typical). So, this week I finally went back in to get it checked out
and the doctor had literally left a piece of the stitch in my arm. Not
cool. The other doctors and nurses were so excited to give him a hard
time when he gets back in town. Also, I told the Physicians Assistant
that was trying to get it out to just cut me open without numbing me.
It was rad. Well, today we are going to go to the Memphis Zoo!!!!! So,
I will quickly talk about the first principle of the gospel and then
we can all get outta here early. In district meeting this transfer and
in our companionship we've been talking about this cool story from the
Old Testament found in Joshua chapter 3. Long story short, the Lord
commands the Israelites to take the ark of the covenant and cross the
Jordan river. Well, what is so noteworthy is that the Israelites don't
just stand at the edge of the water and wait for the river to separate
or stop or whatever they may have expected God to do to make it
possible. The priests carrying the ark of the covenant step into the
water, and THEN it parts and they are able to walk through on dry
ground, "And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of the Lord
stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the
Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed
clean over Jordan" (Joshua 3:17). I think this is just such a cool
principle, that sometimes we have to get our feet wet before God shows
His hand. In the gospel it is called faith. In Ether 12:6 Moroni says,
"..I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped
for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye
receive no witness until after the trial of your faith". My mom
emailed me this morning and told me about a fireside she did for girls
camp in our ward this past week. In it she talked about my uncle Ray
who is an amazing person and has never let any situation or trial of
faith, even being paralyzed from the waist down at 17 years old, stop
him. I'll just paste what she said because it's so applicable.

"During the hike we stopped at a clearing for my fireside about Ray’s
accident and the "5,000 fed" from the scriptures... The part of the
5000 fed, I referred to how the Savior moved forward serving the
people, and preparing to feed them as if He always had enough food. He
didn't take time to look at what was missing. He looked at what He had
and He looked at the needs of the people and then He started to act.
He divided them into groups and asked His apostles to start dividing
up the five loaves and two fishes. Then He prayed and blessed the
food. I prefer one of the accounts that says He thanked God. So my
goal and my point that I hope they understood was; every day we wake
up lacking in some way. Instead of waking up and looking at what we're
missing or lacking, we need to wake up, look at what the needs are,
and start moving forward as if we already have enough. The apostles of
Christ at that time were so focused on what was lacking, that they
were ready to give up before even trying. They asked the Savior to
send the people home so that they could find food themselves. I pulled
it together by reminding them of uncle Ray's story.  Being paralyzed
from the neck down never stopped him from achieving his goals. He
moves forward as if he was already healed and whole. He stands taller
than most people I know. I told the girls to stand tall and wear their
crowns as if they have already received all of God's blessings." -mom

Faith is a principle of action. We show our faith by what we do. Now
go get your feet wet.

Sister Bailey Guthrie
6401 Newstone Dr. Apt 302
Bartlett, TN 38135

Leadership training
Round donut round face

My sisters


Gotta love cute kids in Memphis (look at lil tanks hair he's wildin)

No comments:

Post a Comment