SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE

SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE
you are hereby called to serve in the Arkansas, Little Rock Mission ❤️ August 2016 - February 2018 ❤️

Monday, January 30, 2017

What Lack I Yet


On Saturday we were so blessed to have Elder Neil L. Andersen of the

quorum of the twelve apostles with us. All 187 missionaries in the
Arkansas Little Rock mission came to the North Little Rock church
building for the meeting. First we packed into the gym to take a
picture with Elder Andersen, shook his hand on the way out, and then
moved into the chapel for our devotional. I was asked to participate
in a special musical number in the program with three other
missionaries. I sang a solo in front of an apostle. I don't know if I
was more nervous about Elder Andersen sitting two feet behind me or
the nearly 200 missionaries sitting in front of me. But alas, we got
through it. The devotional was incredible and the presence of the
spirit was undeniable. Something that one of the speakers said really
tapped at my heart, which of course was the spirit telling me that I
can improve. He said that there is truly a difference between "going
on a mission" and "serving" a mission. As I've thought about that,
I've been able to relate it to a story in Matthew 19. A man comes to
Jesus and asks Him what he must do to have eternal life. Jesus tells
the man to keep the commandments. The man replies that he already does
that and asks, "what lack I yet?" So, Jesus tells the man, "go and
sell that thou hast, and give to the poor.. and come and follow me".
The story ends that, "..when the young man heard that saying, he went
away sorrowful: for he had great possessions". I'm learning that it's
not enough to just go on a mission. The Lord asks us to give ALL THAT
WE HAVE, EVEN OUR WHOLE SELF. "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If
any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his
cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it:
and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it" (Matthew
16:24-25).

This week I read the parable of the laborers in the vineyard that
Jesus gives in Matthew 20. He compares the kingdom of heaven to a
householder who hires laborers to work in his vineyard. The
householder goes out and hires laborers in the first hour of the day
and promises to pay them one penny. The householder goes out again at
the third hour, the sixth hour, the ninth hour and finally the
eleventh hour to hire laborers. At the end of the day, each of the
laborers is paid the same amount, one penny. Well, the laborers who
began at the first hour aren't very happy about this and begin to
complain. The householder responds by saying, "Friend, I do thee no
wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny? Take that thine is,
and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee. Is it
not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil,
because I am good?" (Matthew 20:13-15). As Jesus says at the beginning
of the parable, this is meant to relate to the kingdom of heaven. He
explains that "the last shall be first, and the first last: for many
be called, but few chosen" (Matthew 20:16). The Lord offers the same
reward to all who will labor (follow Him), no matter how late they may
come. This is a concept that I've been able to study many times, but
while pondering it this week a new principle impressed me. I had the
question come into my mind, "what happens after the eleventh hour?"
Well, the answer is the twelfth hour. The twelfth hour, when the sun
goes down, and the days work is done. A scripture came to mind from
the Book of Mormon which says, "..I beseech of you that ye do not
procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this
day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we
do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of
darkness wherein there can be no labor performed" (Alma 34:33). Yikes.
"Then cometh the night of darkness" or the twelfth hour "wherein there
can be no labor performed" and no Heavenly reward to be earned. I know
that the Lord is continually reaching out to each of us, desperately
hoping we will let Him in so that He can reward us with eternal life;
a reward none of us could ever earn or deserve.

I want to bear to you my witness that our Eternal Father in Heaven and
His son Jesus Christ live. Sins can be forsaken, burdens can be
lifted, and heartache can be comforted through the atoning sacrifice
of our Savior Jesus Christ, the Holy One of Israel. One day we will
stand before our God to be judged of our works. When we have faith in
that, it changes the way we live. I can testify to you that this life
is the time to prepare to meet God. If you will humble yourself and
pray to your Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus Christ for
forgiveness, you will feel Him reaching out to you to pull you out of
whatever you may be dealing with. I know this is true, because I've
done it and I've felt it. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. It
contains the fullness of the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ. It is
plain and precious, and it is true. Life is too short and eternity is
too long to not do the right thing. I testify of these things in the
name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Much love,
Sister Bailey Guthrie


No comments:

Post a Comment