SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE

SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE
you are hereby called to serve in the Arkansas, Little Rock Mission ❤️ August 2016 - February 2018 ❤️

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

"Yea, Lord, we do love thee"

Woke up to snow on Friday morning! and had to stay inside most of the day because the humidity melts the snow and the freezing cold turns it into ice 

Sister Hall and I have had a really great week. The work is so good in
Paragould. I hope I never get transferred. We have had a lot of
lessons with investigators, some good visits with less active members,
found new people to teach, and put two new people on date to be
baptized; Sherlie, who we met through a bible and Book of Mormon
referral and Richard, the nephew of our recent convert Norma. They
both have accepted the invitation to be baptized on February 5th. When
we invited Sherlie to be baptized she said, "absolutely!" and wrote
the date on her calendar. So cool! Life is good when there is a lot of
work to do. On "the district" (missionary training videos), Elder
Moreno says, "I don't get why I'm so happy. It kind of weirds me out,
'cause I'm tired like all the time". Hahaha that is exactly how I
feel. On Sunday we were able to go to the Searcy stake conference. The
stake presidency was being reorganized so there were two general
authorities that came, Elder Carter and Elder J. Devn Cornish. Elder
Cornish gave the talk in this past general conference titled, "Am I
Good Enough? Will I Make It?" It is one of my favorite talks from that
session. If you haven't listened to it, I invite you to! I got to talk
to Elder Cornish for a minute before conference started. It's cool
because when you're Mormon the general authorities are like
celebrities to you. Anyways, Elder Cornish gave a great talk on
Sunday. It related so well to my favorite talk by Elder Holland, "the
First Great Commandment", which I had listened to earlier that
morning. Elder Cornish talked about the number one thing that we can
do to develop greater faith in God the Father and in His Son, Jesus
Christ. He said that the way we can do this is by keeping the sabbath
day holy. It was funny because he said, "if you're like me you're
probably saying AND....... what else? But that's it. Keep the sabbath
day holy". He talked about how each of the Ten Commandments really
just points back to the first which is, "Thou shalt have no other gods
before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" (Exodus
20:3-4). Elder Cornish explained that although we don't worship
statues, the "graven image" or "God" that we so often worship and put
before the one true God, is our self. We need to show God that He is
the only one that we worship by always putting Him first. A great way
to start is by keeping the sabbath day holy. "Remember the sabbath
day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou
shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy
manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that
is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth,
the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day:
wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it" (Exodus
20:8-11). Now, this can seem easy to do until Super Bowl Sunday rolls
around, or we are reeeallllyyyy hungry on fast Sunday, or we are just
too tired to go to church. I've been guilty of all of these in the
past. What are we saying to the Lord when we can't even keep His holy
day, holy? We are saying that we put football, food, sleep, etc. above
our God. How wrong is that? Something I've learned as a missionary is
how great it is to receive chastisement. "I know that the words of
truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them
not, for they love the truth and are not shaken" (2 Nephi 9:40). I
know that the message Elder Cornish shared with us was true and
inspired of the Lord. I hope we will all covenant with our Heavenly
Father to be more diligent in having no other Gods before Him. In my
favorite conference talk Elder Jeffrey R. Holland says, "My beloved
brothers and sisters, I am not certain just what our experience will
be on Judgment Day, but I will be very surprised if at some point in
that conversation, God does not ask us exactly what Christ asked
Peter: “Did you love me?” I think He will want to know if in our very
mortal, very inadequate, and sometimes childish grasp of things, did
we at least understand one commandment, the first and greatest
commandment of them all-“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy
heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all
thy mind". Elder Holland goes on to say, "..the voice of Christ comes
ringing down through the halls of time, asking each one of us while
there is time, “Do you love me?” And for every one of us, I answer
with my honor and my soul, “Yea, Lord, we do love thee.” And having
set our “hand to the plough,” we will never look back until this work
is finished and love of God and neighbor rules the world". If that
doesn't encourage and motivate us to press forward and remain loyal to
the Lord our God, I don't know what else will. Yes, it's not easy.
It's really hard. But personally, I would rather be tired and have joy
than be tired and feel guilt and sorrow. Our living prophet Thomas S.
Monson once said, "May we ever choose the harder right instead of the
easier wrong". Howard W. Hunter said, “If our lives and our faith are
centered upon Jesus Christ and his restored gospel, nothing can ever
go permanently wrong. On the other hand, if our lives are not centered
on the Savior and his teachings, no other success can ever be
permanently right". I testify that these things are true. I testify
that Christ lives and He loves us. He knows knows every trial and
every heartache perfectly. He will not always deliver us, but through
His atonement we can find the strength to endure. I love Him, and I
will continue to serve Him.

Much love,

Sister Bailey Guthrie

No comments:

Post a Comment