SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE

SISTER BAILEY GUTHRIE
you are hereby called to serve in the Arkansas, Little Rock Mission ❤️ August 2016 - February 2018 ❤️

Monday, December 12, 2016

Cleansing the Inner Vessel




OKAY, let me just say that I love bike week. For two weeks we are lucky enough to have a car to drive and then for one week we walk or bike. I feel like our transportation cycle is kind of like the pride cycle in the Book of Mormon. We start out on bikes and are humble, so the Lord blesses us with a car. Then, we start to take the car for granted and it gets taken away long enough for us to become humble again. I had many more "my mom would die if she saw where I was"
moments this week as Sister Hall and I trekked around Paragould in 30 degree weather.

This week I have been thinking a lot about purification. I was reading in Alma chapter 60 where captain Moroni is writing an epistle to Pahoran (head of the government) asking why he isn't sending help to their armies who are struggling to fight off the Lamanites. In his epistle, Moroni says, "Now I would that ye should remember that God has said that the inward vessel shall be cleansed first, and then shall the outer vessel be cleansed also" (verse 23). Although Moroni is referring to the corruption of the government, I applied this verse personally. "Cleansed" led me to "purification" in the topical guide which references Helaman 3:35. This verse says, "Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their
humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God". So, purification and sanctification come when we yield our hearts to God. Going back to the verse that started this study, "the inward vessel shall be cleansed first". 
We first must focus on our own purification
by yielding our hearts to God, or denying the temptation and influence
of the adversary. Once we have done this, "then shall the outer vessel
be cleansed also". My "outer vessel" at this time is Paragould, AR or
the people within my realm of influence and service. If I want to help
purify souls in Paragould, I have to first purify myself. Why is
purifying ourselves so important, and why does it have to come first?
Helaman 4:24 says, "the spirit of the Lord did not preserve them; yea,
it had withdrawn from them because the spirit of the Lord doth not
dwell in unholy temples". If there is one thing I have learned as a
missionary, it is that I am wasting my time without the constant help
of the Holy Ghost. Preach my gospel says, "As the Lord’s servant, you
are to do His work in His way and by His power". That seems like a no
brainer, but it's amazing how many times I've tried to rely on my own
abilities and understanding to do this work, which is of little to no
use. I have learned that there is no other way to be successful except
to, "trust the Spirit to guide you in every aspect of your work" (or
of your life for that matter). So, to do this work we must have the
companionship of the spirit; “No man can preach the Gospel without the
Holy Ghost" (Jospeh Smith). To have the spirit, we must be pure; "But
purify your hearts before me; and then go ye into all the world, and
preach my gospel unto every creature who has not received it" (D&C
112:28). To be pure, we must rid ourselves of all uncleanliness and
yield our hearts to God and His will; "Real, personal sacrifice never
was placing an animal on the altar. Instead, it is a willingness to
put the animal in us on the altar and letting it be consumed!" (Neal
H. Maxwell). I decided to do another "40 day fast" from anything that
keeps me from having the Holy Spirit as a constant companion.
"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve
Him with all your heart, might, mind and strength" (D&C 4:2).

This week I've seen the Lord's hand in our work in many ways. On
Saturday morning June and Laina got married!!! Laina was tearing up
during the ceremony and told us that it was because he felt the
spirit. We've been trying to find people to teach over the past couple
of weeks and the Lord has blessed us with people who are prepared to
hear and receive the restored gospel. We are teaching the sweetest
family right now. I love them! Life is good. Paragould is good. God is
good.

Much love,

Sister Guthrie


Free coat tree
Laina and June's wedding (nominated ourselves to be bridesmaids)



Brother Straub



Jay brought us fries to Book of Mormon class

1 comment:

  1. Sister Guthrie and Sister Hall are a true joy to be around. I love their devotion to the gospel and I LOVE their humor. I am so blessed to be able to be their main transport when they need help. I was so happy they felt free to call me this week when Sister Guthrie needed some medicine for her cough (I got her cough medicine, Orange Juice and Vicks). Thank you for sharing Sister Guthrie with all of us.

    ReplyDelete